Teacher and Student Materials:
Media and Other Resources:
Nourishing the Soil<< Back to All
To grow food crops we need healthy soil. What is soil and how do farmers make sure it remains productive? Using online resources and two stories from the Food for 9 Billion series, students will investigate how farmers in two different countries are addressing the need to nourish the soil.
1-2 50 minute class periods
Student handout, Student computers with Internet access
- Students will explore arable land and cereal crop yield data from around the world.
- Students will investigate some of the conditions that affect food production in two West African countries.
- Students will use online resources to collect data and information about productivity and soil types.
- Students will compare and contrast different soil types.
- Students will describe and evaluate the impact of various efforts to maintain soil fertility and to increase food production.
Types of soil, arable land, cereal crop yield, soil fertility